Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Patch 'Em Back Together!

On Monday, December 28, 2009, Larry was admitted to Riverton Hospital for outpatient surgery. For years, Larry has had a hernia that has needed his attention. More recently, it was confirmed that he had two hernias and now was the time to get them taken care of. Since it is Winter Break from school, we thought this week was a good time to have the operation. The nice thing is that the operation can be done laproscopically now, allowing for a more speedy recovery. We hope that is the case for Larry! Dr. Murdock called Larry an anesthesia virgin; he has not had any type of anesthesia since he was eight when his tonsils came out.

Before surgery - All chipper and alert!

The procedure went very well. Dr. Murdock mentioned that Larry was a very good boy and did exactly what he was supposed to during surgery. The doctor inserted two mesh pockets into Larry's lower abdomen to hold his intestines in. Larry has only three small incisions on his belly that have been glued shut. He can shower this evening. We were at the hospital for a total of six hours and his surgery lasted for two of those. Not too tough to deal with, except that I don't do well in hospitals. I have had too many surgeries, and I never have a good experience coming out of surgery. I had to leave Larry's room and sit in the big, open waiting room with my mom while Larry was in surgery. Larry's vitals stabilized quickly, and he was eating small amounts and drinking lots! As soon as he demonstrated that his organs were working properly, we were able to go home. The pharmacy where we dropped off his prescriptions took two hours to fill the order! Good thing he did not need the Lortab just yet!

After surgery - not so chipper and hardly alert!

We made it through the night, and Larry is up and moving around this morning. He starts on the Ibuprofen for pain today. We will see how that goes! He can take the Lortab if he needs it, but I want him to try to wean himself from it. Yucky narcotics!

3 comments:

Dustin, Darci, Britton, Benjamin, & Caden said...

I'm glad to see you take pictures during prep and after surgery too! That anesthesia and the stuff they give you before surgry makes me goofy! Get better soon Larry. I don't envy your incisions starting to itch as you get better!

Staci said...

I am right there with you, Darci! When I had my gallbladder removed, I remember the little incisions itching so badly! Larry commented yesterday that I was camera happy. Hey, you have to document the experience somehow!

Unknown said...

I also loved the before and after pics Staci. I hope you are on the mend Larry. Love Ya!